[ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Jeremy H. Griffith jhg at omsys.com
Thu Oct 4 20:14:03 EDT 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:29:09 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
wrote:

> [...]

They are related.  The primary concern in the domain-name issue is
one of accountability.  If ARIN dropped the WHOIS services for the
address block assignments to legacy users, that accountability is
broken.  All someone has to do is use a legacy IP number instead of
a domain name, and they become effectively untraceable for anyone not
in LE or the NSA...  ;-)  So one result of such a policy would be to
raise the value of such addresses on the black market.  Not a good
idea, IMHO.

--Jeremy