[ppml] Policy regarding subnets smaller than /64

Brian Dickson briand at ca.afilias.info
Fri Nov 16 17:00:09 EST 2007

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your first use of "assignment" there.
> Currently, there's nothing to stop you from *using* a longer prefix as
> a subnet.  Are you advocating for something more than that, like the
> ability to assign a network longer/smaller than /64 between
> organizations?

Yes. The analogous kind of thing would be the ability to assign down to
a /29 in IPv4.
Registration of what is used, can be important for all of the things
that go along with registration, e.g. different abuse contacts,
technical contacts, etc.
Ditto delegation of ip6.arpa reverse mappings on the nibble boundary,
below the /64 level (not sure if this is an issue, but just want to list
it as something necessary for such assignments.)

Brian