[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Nov 1 14:01:03 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson at drtel.com>
> Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> I don't think that's true.  Today, anything you advertise in IPv4 down
>> to a /24 will be accepted more or less by everyone.
>
> Yes. But this came about due to common network policy and time,
> not ARIN policy. It could just as easily been a /20 if the screaming
> was not as loud.

I bet we'll be at /20, at least in the blocks where /20 is the minimum,
within a few years due to all the routers falling over from accepting /24
deaggregates.

It'd be really nice if someone would produce a tool that would auto-create
filter lists that would permit N-bit deaggregates of each block assigned by
the RIRs.  As long as a covering aggregate was announced, each network could
tune N to keep their routers from falling over.

> My only real point is that routing decisions should not be directly
> "governed" by ARIN policy. I think we are just beating this topic with a
> smelly herring. :)

They're not "governed" per se, since ARIN has no enforcement powers, but the
independent decisions by the various ISPs are definitely influenced by ARIN
policy -- and vice versa.  At most, ARIN controls what the _minimum_ size of
the routing tables are; operators can allow more than that but realistically
they can't allow less.  e.g. ARIN can hand out /20s and ISPs can filter at
/24, but if ARIN was handing out /24s ISPs couldn't filter at /20.

It'd be nice to see some blocks designated as having _shorter_ maximum
lengths so that we wouldn't be forced to accept /20s in blocks that
mega-ISPs were getting /10s from.