[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 29 18:22:40 EDT 2007

You're right, it is a matter or wording. I should have said "IETF community
fails to reach consensus".

Note that I've not been instructed at all by the IETF or anything like that
on anything about this. I just saw the need for ULA-central and started
wondering what alternatives we have to bring it back. Nothing else.

What failed previously ... IESG can say, I only have hints, and points to
something not good in my opinion, but I don't want to talk here about
something that I don't know completely.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>
> Responder a: <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>
> Fecha: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:04:13 -0400
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> CC: <ppml at arin.net>, <ed.lewis at neustar.biz>
> Asunto: Re: [ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again
>
> At 11:52 PM +0200 5/29/07, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>> And, in the worst case, if the IETF fails again on this (I'm sure will not
>
> What is meant by the "IETF fails...on this"?  The IETF prides itself
> on allowing any idea to be presented but requiring a consensus to
> promote meritorious ideas.  Just because a draft has appeared doesn't
> mean the idea was a good one - I should know, I've written a whole
> lot of expired drafts myself (and even some obsoleted RFCs).
>
> It would be more convenient if the IETF documented why a draft is
> left to expire, so that future efforts don't repeat mistakes made
> before.
>
> What I *sense* is happening here is that the RIRs are being used to
> do an end-run around the IETF process.  This 'sense' is based on
> reading the draft (and seeing that this is along the lines of site
> local), looking at the mail list archives (which lacks overwhelming
> support to promote this), and the hint that the IETF is failing to
> promote ULA (perhaps that is just from the choice of words).
> --
> Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
> NeuStar
>
> Sarcasm doesn't scale.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !