[ppml] Using IPv6 (Was: clarification of IPv4 and IPv6 fees)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed May 23 11:16:26 EDT 2007

[subject changed so that people won't mix it up with the fees]

Jon Lewis wrote:
> [...] We've got a lot of hardware and software that will need to be
> upgraded/replaced, and who knows how far off general usability of IPv6
> over the internet is?

Depends on how your network is connected to the rest of the Internet.
According to many people I know and from my own experiences everything
is as smooth as a baby, just like IPv4. For that matter, I tend not to
notice if something is IPv4 or IPv6, until I hit an ISP who doesn't know
how to properly configure things, but that might be in both v4 and v6.

When you have one or more proper transit providers everything will be
more or less just like IPv4, the only real difference: larger address
space, (and of course linklocals, no ARP, RA's instead of DHCP, though
you can do DHCPv6 etc etc etc..)

When you have an IPv6 operational issue don't hesitate to raise that at:

<mini-spam>
Also, where possible and of course where one thinks it has a use, sign
up to GRH (http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/) and provide a BGP feed.

This allows you to see what prefixes you are missing, see where routing
might be wrong, giving you the ability to ask your transit about it, who
most likely also participates, and it gives the rest of the community a
little peek into your routing tables, offering the ability to see what
might be causing certain problems. Check the above list, you'll see it
can be quite valuable to have that kind of system.
</mini-spam>

Of course, if possible and available near you, try to hook up to RIPE's
RIS (http://ris.ripe.net) system or even TTM, which are great projects
for helping resolve any problems that might occur.

Greets,
 Jeroen