[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon May 21 11:59:34 EDT 2007

Iljitsch,

On May 18, 2007, at 8:15 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> The effect of a policy like this is that:
>
> a. IPv4 becomes more painful to use because addresses are harder to
> get

I'm not sure I see how IPv4 addresses would be more painful to use if
they are harder to obtain.  If you have obtained the addresses, you
use them like you always have.

> b. the incentive to move to IPv6 is reduced because the moment that
> the
>     IPv4 is completely depleted is postponed

If people don't feel the need to migrate to IPv6 in the face of
increased restrictions on obtaining IPv4, then presumably they have
come up with alternative solutions to IPv4 free pool run out.

> c. in many cases, the same amount of address space as before is given
> out, but now as many small blocks, increasing the ARIN workload and
> hindering route aggregation

Sorry, don't follow this one.

>> Phase	     1
>> Threshold    40 /8s
>
> This will almost certainly happen within a year, with about 25% of
> the IPv4 address space or around a billion addresses still unused.

Probably.

> Don't forget that in addition to what's available in the IANA global
> pool, there is also a lot of address space still available but held
> by the RIRs. Currently, about 24 /8s worth.

If so, then it would be less likely the RIRs would need to obtain
address space from IANA, no?

Rgds,
-drc