[ppml] getting converts to V6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 15 15:58:42 EDT 2007

Lee Dilkie wrote:
[..]
> Hmmm. So because I didn't become an ISP and get into the internet big
> time to make money. Because I concentrated on network security research
> and data protocols and had no need for more than my initial allocation.

"The world is unfair, when you are longer in the business you earned
more money". Sorrym but that doesn't work as an argument in any
business. Unfortunately, unlike in a computer game, not everybody starts
out at the same time. Then again, if you play WoW you probably also hate
those level 2000 VulcanDreadWarLocks or whatever they play there as they
where older and have more money and can buy a Dragon to play with.

Now if you are totally against the fees for registration. Then voice
that. Write a proposal and submit it. Don't say that you can't get IPv6
address space, as especially in ARIN land that is totally untrue: PA and
 PI are available, and as some others pointed out, if you have IPv4 or
membership fees are already being waved.

If there is anybody who should be complaining then it is all those
people who didn't get a private "free" /24 (Class C in your old style
parlance) to play with at home with their single laptop and are now
restricted to an ISP who is NATting them together with the rest of the city.

> For those reasons you can consider me unworthy of IPv6 space as an early
> adopter.

Early adopter? Even I can't call myself an early adopter. Early adopters
had IPv6 address space in 1996 from the 6bone project, something in the
5xxx::/16 range (hmm I did use that from SURFnet through somebody else
who had a tunnel there though ;). After 1998 you got a /24 (just like
Bill Manning is still using now that ep.net returned to the net).

If you participated in the 6bone you where an early adopter. And getting
that address space was: !FREE! It has also been deprecated since last
year and only one person, see above, is still using it.

Currently if you want IPv6 address space you can:
 - Go to a RIR and request a /48 PI
 - Go to a LIR and request a /48 out of their PA
 - Use 2002:<aabb>:<ccdd>::/48,
 - Use ULA's

Loads of options, oh and the one I mentioned before: Tunnel Brokers.

Just ask the registries (or check the RIR data) if they can count how
much address space a certain TB has made available to end-users, for
free might I add. And note that that is not the only provider of that
kind of address space, there are a few others, quality might vary though
from what I have heard.

> wow. That's like telling Burt Rutan[..]

What does aerospace have to do with IP Addresses?

Anyway, if you want to 'design' stuff, you can use ULA's for that, they
just won't route on the global internet. Also see above for other ways
to get 'free' address space.

[..]

> I'd like to point out that IPv4 [..] because dual-stack is the *only*
> workable transition mechanism.

Everybody knows that, the IETF has designed IPv6 and the large amount of
IPv6 Transition Mechanisms around it. Anybody who says something else
drank too much cool aid ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen

  (who, together with Pim, most likely still holds the record
   for most inet6nums's in the RIPEdb, so please don't say you
   can't get IPv6 address space for free, as that is B******T!
   Thanks again to all the participating ISP's for providing
   the address space to endusers for free and with the great
   quality connectivity that they provide along with it!)