[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Tue May 15 14:04:38 EDT 2007

Any policy could be sugar-coated to keep most people happy. Many large,
deep-pocketed organizations already have the technical expertise to
implement IPv6, and are already implementing real networks or software
products. Governments are starting to mandate IPv6 support.

Software and hardware obsolescence is a fact of life. Good companies
manage this process so that customers can plan for change.
I agree that public relations, conferences and other lobbying is needed
to build some consensus on whether to plan for an IPv4 end of life date.
Obviously ARIN can not pick an arbitrary date that 90% or even 50% of
people object to. This is no different than Microsoft announcing end of
support on a version of Windows, then back-tracking when there's been
customer outcry.

There's uncertainty in not creating an end-of-life date an. When are we
going to run out of addresses? How will we transition? Businesses don't
like uncertainty, and while Telcos and ISPs have of money invested in
current networks, they're going to have to upgrade them in 5 or 10 years
anyway to keep up with growth, adding an IPv4 deadline is something the
engineers understand and the managers can factor in to their business case.