[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Re: article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 14 18:47:28 EDT 2007

On May 14, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 06:58:55AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> Do you think this should not be decided by an RFC, but rather as a
>>> global
>>> policy through each of the RIRs?
>>>
>> I am not sure.  I kind of like Tony's (malformed) suggestion that
>> ULA-
>> C should
>> come with PI.  If the qualifications for ULA-C were the same, or, if
>> ULA-C was
>> only available to orgs. that had PI, I think that would be
>> acceptable.
>
> I can't really understand the reasoning behind that.  What are you
> trying to achieve, why do you want to restrict handing out ULA-C to
> only a specific (small) subset of folks out there?

I don't want to give ULA-C to people who have an incentive to abuse
it as PI.
> I'd take a much simpler approach - install a one-time setup fee, which
> will prevent folks from just grabbing 10000s of ULA-C prefixes, and
> then
> just hand them out to whoever wants some (and pays the handling fee).

I specifically don't want to achieve the suggested objective and would
strongly oppose such an action.
> There's enough /48s in that /8 so that the risk of running out is
> really low - if there is some mechanism to limit the amount of
> prefixes
> a single entity can request.  Money works well for that, usually.

I don't care about running out.  I care about less stringent
standards in ULA
criteria being used to create an end-run on PI policy.
> [..]
>> Not sure about that.  I do support the idea of ULA-Central as
>> intended,
>> but, I'd have to see a policy or RFC that implemented it in such a
>> way
>> that I had reasonable confidence it wouldn't become "the easy way to
>> get PI".  If we're going to do that, I'd rather do it by relaxing the
>> PI policy
>> than by designating some "nudge nudge wink wink" address space.
>
> ULA-C becomes PI the moment folks will accept it in their routing
> table
> (and if that is a serious risk, ULA-L could as easily become PI the
> same
> way).  But why should routing folks do that?

Hopefully routing folks won't, but, in my experience, $$$ can lead
routing
folks to ignore what should or shouldn't be done from an internet