[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Fri May 11 16:11:39 EDT 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 06:02:51AM +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:
> The estimates I provide are based on a ;scenario that ignores the
> socio-economic factors that will likely play an increasingly
> significant role in address allocations in the relatively near future.

After reviewing Geoff's latest slides, I think I have another problem
with the proposed policy.  I think there may be too many phases in
this.  Based on the timeline involved, we could end up changing
policies every two or three months.  As some applications may take that
long to completely process, that will put staff in the unhappy position
of having to figure out which policies go with which applications.

Since this can't possibly take effect before about Jan. 1, 2008, that
fives us a total of two years before IANA runs out of /8s (ignoring
any additional pressure on the system).  Perhaps fewer phases would
be useful.

-David