[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Thu May 3 12:38:00 EDT 2007

Owen DeLong wrote:
> Michael,
>
> It's got nothing to do with business models.  It has to do with network
> topology.
>  From an ARIN perspective, reassignments apply to networks, not to host
> addresses.

Well you could consider a host address a network with prefix
length of /32.  In fact ARIN will ask you for a list of /32
assignments if you have a significant number of them, even
though you are not required to SWIP or put them in rwhois.

I think there are two key things that differentiate between ISP and end
users:

1 ISPs assign addresses delegated to them to other organizations
(even if only in /32's), end users do not.

2. ISP's provide IP transit services for customers to 3rd party
networks, end users do not. This includes even trivial webhosts and
ASP's and anyone who fits in the middle of:
      [Customer -> You -> other networks]
If you "provide Internet Service" it would seem that you should be
called an "ISP".

LIR seems to imply only #1.  ISP certainly implies #2 and by arin policy
also #1.  I prefer the term ISP, it seems to be more clear and direct
language (I'm having George Carlin flashbacks...)

There is a public benefit to have anyone who is actually providing
Internet services to be considered an ISP under ARIN policy.  This does
not mean that they would automatically meed the minimum requirements
for a delegation from ARIN but if they do they should not be considered
an end site.

- Kevin