[ppml] Revised Policy Proposal Resource Reclamation

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue May 1 14:32:57 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Marshall Eubanks" <tme at multicasttech.com>
> On May 1, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> All true, but if the space _does_ show up in the routing table,  that
>> creates the presumption that it's in use.  If ARIN could
>> contact the org and they justified private use, that's within
>> current policy as well.  Orgs are encouraged to use RFC1918
>> space on private networks, but they can get direct
>> assignments for private use if they insist.  That may change as
>> we get closer to (or past) exhaustion, though.
>
> Is there an enumeration of the amount of space that is assigned for
> private use ?

Only RFC 1918 space is officially assigned for private use.

The RIRs (and IANA, InterNIC, SRI, NSI, etc. before that) have assigned
space that ended up being used privately.  There used to be a "Connected"
status field in WHOIS, but that's long gone.  I'm not aware of ARIN ever
tracking the intended use of new assignments, and many assignments have
changed status over time in both directions so those records would be of
dubious quality if they did exist.

If you want a semi-reliable answer, you'll have to pull the various RIR
databases and compare with (some view of) the global routing table.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov