[ppml] Solicing comments: IPv4 to IPv6 Migration Incentive Address Space

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Wed Jun 27 14:16:34 EDT 2007

I do not support this proposal as it essentially duplicates the IPv6
address space already allocated to IPv4 users, documented in RFC 3056
(6to4).
Every single IPv4 address automatically gets an IPv6 /48 allocation.

 From RFC 3056: "Within the subscriber site it can be used exactly like
any other valid IPv6 prefix, e.g., for automated address assignment and
discovery according to the normal mechanisms such as [CONF, DISC], for
native IPv6 routing, or for the "6over4" mechanism [6OVER4]."

In short, 6to4 assigns IPv6 addresses that can be used for native IPv6
and it specifies a tunneling protocol, using the IPv4 internet as a
backbone.

I think the RFC contains some unneeded baggage about it being a
transition solution and suggests some restrictions on the way it is used
within native IPv6 routing.
The RFC was written in a more optimistic time, probably assuming the
transition to IPv6 would be quicker.

I don't see why people with existing IPv4 addresses shouldn't just slap
on 2002:: - bypassing the whole process of assigning new "native" IPv6
space.
(Much the way CIDR was a natural extension or generalization to IPv4
routing, utilizing 2002:: for native global IPv6 routing may be the same)