[ppml] RIR Shopping, Table Growth x5?

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Wed Jun 27 13:32:05 EDT 2007

> In a message written on Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 04:26:29PM +0100, Jeroen
> Massar wrote:
> > * = though, for instance (!random example grabbing!) UUNET/MCI has
> > already received about 8 /32's for different purposes globally. The
> > space is easily justified by them and each /32 only covers a
country,
> > but I would not be surprised that they did this simply because of
the
> > above described problem: keeping traffic local.
>
> I guess that's the question though.  If a company can get 8 /32's
> around the world, should our allocation policies somehow allow them to
> get a /29 they can subdivide into /32's from a single RIR, and then
> nothing from others?  That preserves the ability to aggregate, while
> the current scheme of getting them from multiple RIR's at different
> times does not.

Wouldn't that require all traffic to be routed via the connection(s) in
the geographic region of the assigning RIR?  That seems like a fairly
drastic limitation to connectivity for the sake of route aggregation.  I
would think geographic aggregation regardless of where the company above
has its offices would make more sense.  So, their Chinese office would
aggregate into the "Chinese Block" and the US office would be aggregated
into the "US Block" and so on.

Regards,

Michael K. Smith