[ppml] Solicing comments: IPv4 to IPv6 Migration Incentive AddressSpace

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Jun 26 22:13:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Andrew Dul wrote:

> At 04:03 PM 6/26/2007 -0400, William Herrin wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've prepared a policy proposal I hope to submit to ARIN entitled
>> "IPv4 to IPv6 Migration Incentive Address Space." Through preemptively
>> assigning IPv6 addresses to IPv4 holders, it seeks to address three
>> problems ARIN faces:
>>
>> 1. The looming exhaustion of the IPv4 space.
>> 2. Obsolete and incorrect legacy IPv4 registration and contact information.
>> 3. Legacy IPv4 registrants don't pay their fair share.
>>
>> The current draft of the proposal is at:
>>
>> http://bill.herrin.us/arin-policy-proposal.html
>>

> I do not support this policy proposal.  I do not think automatically
> assigning address space to existing IPv4 resource holders will actually
> create an incentive to use IPv6.  I believe that IPv6 space is available
> to existing IPv4 holders under the current policies.

I do not support that proposal either. But I'd like to mention that
availability of ipv6 to existing ipv4 holders is not the same as
incentive to start using it and to migrate - and we do need something
in this area.

Perhaps what should be discussed are those willing to go all the way
and to fully transition and give up part or all of their ipv4 space
replacing that with v6. What kind of incentive to give those willing
to do it is interesting question, perhaps if its one of the legacy
holders they could be given free ride (no maintenance fees) for
additional say 10 years; what incentive to give to ISPs willing to
do it is another issue, again perhaps some discount to normal fees
could generate interest and ARIN can probably do it easily
considering existing budgetary surplus.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks