[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Tue Jun 19 13:35:22 EDT 2007

I would question why a small ISP would need to buy bigger hardware. I've
setup small ISPs and multi-homed businesses and know that most don't
really need full routes.
A small ISP can always default. Chances are one of their upstreams is
either better or cheaper than the other one, and their backup link is
more costly or slower. It's always been costly to run full BGP, and if
small business or ISP doesn't want to keep pace, then that's their
choice. They won't be out of business if they start filtering or
defaulting.

Anyway, I think when we're talking about the fundamental scalability and
future of the Internet, and basing policy that affects everyone - the
argument has always been that the core would collapse if we did or
didn't do X.  ("the sky is falling" argument). These vendors and
presentations seem to show the complete opposite.