[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jun 19 13:28:54 EDT 2007

> So the existing small ISP at the edge of the DFZ behind a couple of
> DS-3s is going to be fine?  Even if this poor sap buys bigger hardware
> to accomodate a larger FIB/RIB, how's he going to get a full table
> update (after maintenance or a crash) in a timely fashion?
>
> I agree there's no need for panic, but there's need for some serious
> work.  The biggest players are going to be pushing the edge of the
> RIB/FIB envelope.  The next set down in scale (but still near the
> "core", whatever that is) will be pretty much okay.  The little guys
> near the edge are going to be pretty screwed unless they put out some
> serious dollars.

and there is no rational way out.  id/loc is fantasy, old fantasy.

once upon a time, one used to be able to run a small (often rural) telco
with small equipment.  now a small telco has to buy monster switch(es).
 guess why?

and now you may be able to infer why the vendors are not panicked and
are telling us everything is alright.

randy