[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Jun 18 10:00:08 EDT 2007

Leo - actually, my comments were directed more to what David
said then your replies, but I'm having strange difficulties with
quoting...

I think if ARIN is going have a policy that is dictated by the
needs of routing, it should explicitly say so in the policy.

Especially if the policy has bad side effects on others.

Then, if and when the routing issues become resolved, the
policy could be revoked because it would no longer be needed,
and if people wanted to retain the policy, they would need to
come up with some new justification.

Currently, it looks like you need to able to justify a large
number of hosts to get PI, which is currently the only way to
get ISP-independent addresses.  Either allowing PI for small
networks to all comers (with no explicit guarantee of routability)
or ULA-C (with a "guarantee" of non-routability) seems to be the
only way to overcome this.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.