[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Jun 18 04:06:47 EDT 2007

It's easy to shoot down a proposal if you just assume it says something
it doesn't.

1)  Nothing prevents ISPs from continuing to get large chunks of PA
space and assigning suitable small chunks of that to their customers.
IE aggregation just as it exists to day.

This would probably serve the needs of 99% of their customers.

2) There is no guarantee of routability given.  If you want your
/48 routed, you will have to find someone willing to route it.
Presumably, they would charge you for it.  Presumably, they would
charge you much less to route a /48 (or whatever) they assigned
to you out of their PA space.

ARIN is in the number administration business.  It is *not* in the
routing business.  It doesn't route anything for anybody (except
maybe itself.)

Maybe the problem here is people are expecting ARIN policy to enforce
their business policy so they don't have to give the customer the
bad news that they are going to charge them an arm and a leg to
route their small subnet.  Instead, they just try to keep ARIN's
policy such that their customers can't get small subnets in the
first place.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.