[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jun 8 20:55:22 EDT 2007

> Reclamation, if passed, may also help by enforcing standards on existing
> blocks.  My original intent was ARIN would go after the biggest blocks first
> (to recover address space), but perhaps they need to go after the smallest
> ones as well (to recover routing slots).

i don't think there's any reason to open this egg at the big end or little
end preferentially.  reclaimation of either scarce resource would be good
if it meant they can be recycled by somebody who will use them efficiently.

> Mr. Schiller has presented the best case I've heard for route bloat causing
> problems, but even he admits that most of the routes he's carrying are from
> 2547 VPNs, internal routes, etc. and not from the public v4/v6 DFZ.  I'm
> certain** that he's the prime customer for vendors building/selling routers
> that can handle 1M+ routes.  With all due respect, though, should his
> employer's choice to burn 80% of their routing capacity on non-public
> prefixes mean that the entire rest of the Internet shouldn't be allowed to
> use _their_ spare capacity to make the public Internet work better for
> everyone?

no more so than a choice by somebody else to burn 80% of their routing
capacity on whatever revenue streams pay the bills.  i think that from a
policy point of view, the RIR community should assume that 50% of the
capacity of three-year-old equipment is what's available to hold the DFZ.