[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Jun 6 19:00:36 EDT 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 6:40 PM, John Santos wrote:
> All I'm saying is people should be entitled
> to permanent IP addresses, for as long as they need them

Think about this clearly.  Where is this infinite resource coming from?

1. IP address space is limited although inexpensive.

2. Prefix slots in router memory are even more limited, and much more
costly.

Cost #1 is low and is paid once.

Cost #2 is very high, and is paid by *EVERYONE* who is connected.
Not together, but each individually.

This isn't like raising taxes, where a tiny hike creates a lot of
money.  This is like asking every citizen to repurchase their home/
car/etc so that someone else can avoid thinking about their business
model.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek