[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon Jun 4 12:20:12 EDT 2007

> good luck.  i managed to get rid of TLAs etc.  get tvtf out of policy,
> /48, /56, ...  but EU164 is infinitely more religious.

TLA's are dead.  8+8 is dead.  A6/DNAME is dead.  EUI64 can also die.

i realized recently that if IPng was going to just be IPv4 with larger
addresses, then we didn't need flow labels or any of that other stuff,
and we could have reused the IPv4 ethertype and framing, just revved
the version number field and defined 128 bit src/dst and been able to
implement and deploy it in a year.  (and many people suggested this at
the time, though none of them said "this is how we ought to do it since
it's how we'll end up doing it ever after we define all this other crud.")