[ppml] Keeping the story straight

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Jun 2 12:30:55 EDT 2007

> We easily used up all of the RFC1918 space and then had to deal with what to
> do next.  A large unique space that could be used for these activities would
> have been quite helpful.  Of course it is the case that regular routed IPv6
> space filtered at the network boundaries would have worked fine too.  I
> almost think that I would prefer that because then I would have the choice
> of using it on my routed infrastructure as I saw fit.
>
> ----Cathy

i think that is indeed the straightest this story can be told.  whether space
is routable depends on whether one routes it and/or filters it.  IPv6 space is
so much bigger than the theoretical maximum routing table size (even at /32's)
that there's no reason to allocate from pools intended never to be "routable";
the right RIR goalset is still simply "uniqueness" and perhaps "aggregatable",
and questions of "routability" should be answered in the field day by day as
conditions warrant.