[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 31 23:00:27 EDT 2007

>> routing table growth is boiling the frog.
> I'd agree with respect to current routing table growth, but not with
> post-IPv4 depletion routing growth.

post ipv4 depletion, there will be no ipv4 routes because ipv4 will have
been depleted.  see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_depletion>.
or was "ipv4 depletion" yet another scare term for the end of the iana
free pool?

if the latter, then

> Currently large providers add hundreds of customers per new prefix.
> Don't expect the number of new business customers to change, just the
> number of routes that are needed to serve them when much smaller IPv4
> blocks are in play.

how will the fact that providers get their ipv4 space from ebay as
opposed to iana radically affect the number of prefixes which they announce?

as ebay prices rise, their singly homed customers will just get smaller
pieces and hide more behind nats, as if enough was not behind nats
already.  but the number of announcements into the dmz will be inversely
proportional to the chunk size the isp can get on ebay, not the number
of singly homed customers, not a radical change at all.

their multi homed customers will add one prefix with N paths into the v4
table, just as they do today.  it will be a longer prefix as the ebay
prices climb.  but the number of prefixes is O(multi-homed customers).

routing table growth will still be dominated by multi-homing, traffic
engineering, and new folk entering the game.

( for a while, this may actually get easier when one can buy the space
on ebay as opposed to justifying it to some technocracy.  would you let
your son marry a hostmistress?  :)

randy