[ppml] Policy Proposal: Definition of known ISP and changes to IPv6 initial allocation criteria

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Mon Jul 30 13:01:45 EDT 2007

I think this proposal moves in the right direction.  However, I think it
goes a bit too far in allowing any organization with a /23 of IPv4 PA
space to get an IPv6 /32 if they can get their ISP to re-SWIP it as an
allocation.  I think it would be more appropriate to require that, to be
a known ISP, an organization must reassign and/or reallocate a /23 worth
of space to their own downstream customers.  Such reassignments and
reallocations are already covered under existing policy requiring
justification and efficient use, so this criterion would be much harder
to game.

It would also be worthwhile for the policy to recognize that not all
reallocations and reassignments are done via SWIP: rwhois should be just
as good.

-Scott