[ppml] Dean Anderson, 130.105.0.0/16 and the future of the IPv4 Internet.

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Jul 25 14:10:05 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, James Hess wrote:

> On 7/24/07, Dean Anderson <dean at av8.com> wrote:
>
> > I dispute that. ARIN is required to perform the services that IANA has
> > delegated to it.  Legacy services are part of that delegation. This is
> > like saying ARIN has no obligation to cart the boxes of legacy records
> > to a new office. Or to convert legacy records to a new electronic
> > format.  Any service that required, ARIN is required to perform for
> > everyone.
>
> Any service that required, ARIN is required to perform for everyone... but only
> under the same terms. Legacy assignees that have not signed an RSA are not
> operating on the same terms, in fact, a legacy assignee by definition has no
> agreement for  "services" to  be provided.

The do have an agreement, in the form of the registration made with SRI
or NSI on behalf of IANA, and the implied terms of that agreement.

> ARIN may by policy choose to provide the same services, but this is
> different from being obligated to someone else to do so.

Yes. I agree that ARIN is obligated in some cases, but not in others.
We are only considering those cases where ARIN is obligated.  Those
cases are (at least) the cases where it is necessary for ARIN to perform
some service for the continued operation of the previous agreements.

> In that regard, the obligation for ARIN towards legacy holders is to
> follow its own policies and mission/purpose

ARIN has the same as NSI had to SRI legacies, and the same as SRI had to
the government before that function was called IANA.

> RIR obligations are spelled out by the ASO MOU and the numbering
> policy of ICANN, very basic requirements.

ASO is an organization of RIRs. They can't generate there own
requirements. They just agree to operate in certain ways that are still
within the IANA umbrella. They cannot defy IANA.

The root server operators tried to defy IANA in 1998. The government
stepped in.  The same would happen if ASO tried to defy IANA.

The root operators also created a MOU organization (somewhat like ASO)
to defy IANA. It didn't work.  There is a good book on these events.
"Who Controls the Internet Illusions of a Borderless World" by Goldsmith
and Wu.

> Re-iterating that ARIN is an agent of IANA does not make it true.

Indeed, repeating it doesn't make it true. That the government has
interceded previously in similar IANA supervised organizations, however,
does have some weight.

		--Dean

617 344 9000