[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of Legacy Resources

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 24 17:27:53 EDT 2007

I oppose this proposal as written.

While I am in favor of some of the general intent of this proposal, I
take
issue with the following:

1.	Termination of changes to records.

	The information in WHOIS is already horribly out of date for
	many records.  Refusing to register changes for those organizations
	willing to register their changes but unwilling to sign an RSA is a
	disservice to the ARIN community and does not really provide
	any meaningful incentive to sign the RSA.

2.	Fees

	ARIN is not really in a position to demand fees from legacy holders.
	We should make it possible for legacy holders to enter into an RSA
	without requiring fees.  We should encourage legacy holders to fully
	join the ARIN process and pay annual fees, but, I think that tying the
	RSA signing to a commitment to pay fees is an unnecessary barrier
	to the RSA.  The RSA is, in my opinion, the more important goal.

3.	Termination of DNS services

	Much like the refusal to make changes to whois, this action is more
	of a disservice to the ARIN community than any sort of incentive for
	legacy holders.

Owen