[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Roque Gagliano rgaglian at antel.net.uy
Tue Jul 24 12:06:30 EDT 2007

Andrew, here are my answers,

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 11:06 -0800, Andrew Dul wrote:

> I'm not sure this policy is necessary.  I don't specifically think
> there is anything wrong with the current policy.
>
> RIRs could develop their own "end of IPv4 allocation schemes" even if
> the IANA to RIR policy was not changed.

Why should they do it? with the current policy RIRs are encouraged to
consume as many addresses as possible until the IANA pool exhausts.

The proposed policy eliminates the pressure on the central pool at IANA
and allows each RIR to develop its own policies on how are they going to
distribute its last allocation (probably more conservative policies). It
will also be a clear message to the rest of the community about how the
IANA pool will be distributed and by doing that avoiding discussion
outside the RIR environment.

Probably we should also ask ourselves: What may happen if we just do
nothing about this issue?

> RIRs use IPv4 resources at different rates due to the different sizes
> of the communities they represent. This policy will artificially
> extend the availability in some of IPv4 resources in some RIR's, that
> could lead to RIR shopping.

We need to take a global perspective on this issue, here I have to
scenarios:

1) If a small RIR run out of IPv4 addresses, the ISPs of that region
will have problems to get IPv4 addresses from any black or grey market
because the prices and they will not have other options like recover
unused IPv4 addresses or legacy space due to the fact that those regions
have been under the RIR policies and RIR system almost since day one.
The amount of unused or leagy space is very small.

2) If the bigger RIRS run out of addresses and there are available
addresses at the smaller RIRS. There will be large amount of IPv4
addresses in the regions of the RIRS that run out. ISPs in those regions
will have the chance of getting IPv4 addresses from parallel markets,
legacy or unallocated space.

RIR shopping could happen in any scenario but at the time they receive
their last allocation RIR will probably already have in place more
conservative policies. Particularly in scenario number #1, smaller ISPs
from smaller countries will be lacking of options, and,the most
important, in scenario #2 no ISP from the first world will base their
business in the possibility of getting small amounts of IPv4 addresses
for a short time from smaller RIRs. They will move to IPv6.

Regards
Roque

> I do not support this policy as currently written.
>
> Andrew

Roque Gagliano ANTEL - URUGUAY
rgaglian at antel.net.uy