[ppml] FW: Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation oftheRemaining IPv4 Address Space

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Jul 24 10:11:29 EDT 2007

The point is not being a "larger" area. Is a question of utilization, may be
a formula of population+services+need. Even if we do evenly according to the
current population and utilization, what precludes people moving from one
area to another, or creating new services demanding more addresses ? And
then addresses are already given up to other regions ?

Of course, this should not be a problem if the addresses are still under
IANA pool, because then we can change policies (if we have time), but once
at the RIRs pool it may be more difficult to achieve any global policy
change in the future.

The alternative is to make regional policies that allow a RIR to claim IANA
for more blocks "now", but as I indicated in my document, I don't think we
want to start a fight among RIR communities challenging who is faster in
making policies to claim for more blocks now :-) And please, I'm not
suggesting that, I'm clearly saying this is what we should avoid. Instead,
spend cycles in moving to IPv6, it is a much cheaper plan, smarter and has a
long term vision, not just delaying what is unavoidable.

Regards,
Jordi