[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 11 21:28:51 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
> So... explain multihoming in an IPv6 world to me.

Seth,

I wish I could, but frankly I don't see how its going to work out.
Small operators with two broadband links are becoming more common.
Using DNS tricks on top of two sets of PA space (consistent with the
current assignment model) serves them very poorly. Assigning routeable
PI space (as is regularly proposed) serves the DFZ participants
poorly. If Shim6 works out, it won't be ubiquitous for the better part
of a decade. I'm not sure where the happy middle ground is, but I'm
looking for it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--