[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

bill fumerola billf at powerset.com
Mon Jul 9 16:31:43 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 05:09:59PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >> OK, then how exactly is this fact an argument AGAINST arin
> >simply removing
> >> these records out of it's whois?  Which is what I am suggesting?
> >
> >who does that hurt? the legacy holders or the rest of the community
> >trying to use a tool to find out who to contact when that netblock does
> >something foolish.
> >
> >as a paying ARIN member, i want ARIN to keep track of as much as they're
> >legally, financially, technically allowed to. that WHOIS service is more
> >useful to me, the paying ARIN member, not the legacy holder.
>
> For now.  What about post-IPv4 runout?

i think you assume that ARIN's IPv4 services will change in some major
way when that happens. i don't believe the memebership would want that
change and the IPv6 fees at that point would cover maintanence of those
'legacy' systems.  i'd imagine ripping the IPv4 components would be more
costly than just maintaining them after any sort of: ipv4 runout of
addresses by ARIN, ipv6 eclipse of ipv4, ipv4 runout of addresses by
IANA, etc.

i would want to see the same level of service provided. no difference
between legacy pre-ARIN holders and paid members.

-- bill