[ppml] Policy Proposal 2006-7: Changes to IPv6 initial allocation criteria - revised text

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Feb 20 15:10:15 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> The language of the proposal was also difficult to
> comprehend. I rewrote it to try and give a clearer
> view of what *I think* it was stating:
>
> e. OR, be an organization new to providing IPV6 internet
> services, and able to demonstrate intent to advertise the
> allocated IPV6 space within one year by showing contracts,
> inventory, or other documentation.

"intent to advertise the allocated IPV6 space" ???

Do you even realize what IPv6 is most popular today? No, its not for
providing traditional internet services by ISPs which would advertise
the space in BGP (btw "advertise" by itself is not complete - you must
specify where to advertise to/at rather then imply). The companies that
really use IPv6 (and not just play with it for research) do it when they
have great many devices that they want to network using TCP/IP and they
don't want to use private 10/8 ip space for that. An example given by
Randy Bush some time ago was management subnet for cable modem at one
large US ISP; another example I have receive from someone else is
railroad putting up sensors every few miles. Such use of IPv6 does not
require advertising ip space in BGP but we do want these companies
using IPv6 as it both provides momentum for others and its less painful
for network engineers when they don't have to deal with 10/8 local nets
that are mostly separate byt sometimes have to be talk to each other
(worst is when two or more companies that use 10/8 merge; but it need
not be full merger - just some sort of partnership for services that
requires their internet networks to talk to each other is a big issue
and may lead to ugly double-NAT setup).

P.S. Sorry about being grumpy about what is probably just a simple
wording error not done on purpose...  And no, I have not kept up
with ppml lately due to volume of emails from other activities.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net