[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of Legacy Resources - version 1.1

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Aug 31 14:09:23 EDT 2007

On 8/31/07, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> 1.      Policy Proposal Name: Authentication of Legacy Resources

> No changes shall be made to legacy resource records which are not
> covered by a registration services agreement after December 31, 2007.

I still oppose this. The time for punitive measures (however minor)
against folks who registered IP addresses prior to ARIN's existence
has not yet arrived and probably never will.

If you absolutely must do something to give the outreach some teeth,
consider something like this:

"Changes to legacy resource records not covered by a registration
services agreement after December 31, 2008 shall be made only if the
registrant can be authenticated via electronic mail to an existing POC
email address."

That addresses ARIN's legitimate need for valid contact info without
breaching the duty ARIN acknowledged and took on itself when it
accepted authority for the legacy /8's.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--