[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-21: PIv6 for legacy holders with RSA

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Aug 31 12:19:25 EDT 2007

On 8/31/07, Cliff Bedore <cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com> wrote:
> As I understand this proposal, it is an attempt to get legacy v4 holders
> to come in under the ARIN umbrella and get started on v6.

Cliff,

The proposal is an attempt to make IPv6 provider-independent addresses
available to multihomed folks with only /23's and /24's.

Currently IPv6 PI space is only available to folks who qualify for an
IPv4 /22 or larger regardless of whether they're multihomed. This
means that there are existing multihomed IPv4  organizations who
aren't able to multihome with IPv6 because they can't get PI space.
Obviously this discourages their deployment of IPv6. More than a few
content providers fall into this category as well as a number of
hobbyist networks held by senior network administration staff. As a
result, it creates a drag on IPv6 deployment overall. IPv6 deployment
is moving slowly enough as it is; drag-effects due to ARIN policy are
unhelpful.

Signing the RSA for your /23 or /24 is merely the entry fee to gain
this new privilege. If you don't want or need the new privilege then
you don't have to sign.

Given the structure of filtering in the DFZ, nothing longer than a /24
prefix is usable for multihomed organizations. I'm pretty sure that
means any utilization of a /24 for a *multihomed* user is "efficient."
Perhaps ARIN staff can comment on that when they present their
evaluation of the proposal.

I think it would also be helpful if ARIN staff would discuss potential
procedures for dealing with a situation where a holder's use is not
efficient. Does the holder return sufficient space to become
efficient? Does he renumber into new smaller space selected from
elsewhere in the swamp so that his new space is efficient? Those are
operating procedures rather than policy questions, but it would be
helpful to see how the policy would be implemented in order to
determine if any of the policy language should be adjusted.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us