[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 23 18:39:14 EDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 3:22 PM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> The real pain in renumbering, both IPv4 and IPv6 is the
>> number of configuration files where your addresses appear
>> that you do not control.  This includes vendor, client, and
>> partner VPN setups, holes punched in vendor, client, and
>> partner firewalls, etc.
>>
>> This pain is identical in IPv4 and IPv6.
>
> Given the very low level of IPv6 deployment in the USA, I wonder
> how you
> can so definitively state that IPv6 renumbering pain (cost?) is
> identical to IPv4.

For the same size of network/organization with the same systems in
place and the same number of external partners who have org A's
addresses embedded in configuration on devices controlled by
Orgs. B, C, D..., the problem space is identical and the solutions
are also identical.  Given an identical problem with an identical
solution, generally, the implementation difficulty can be quantified
as also being identical.

Cost is only one form of pain.

Owen