[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Aug 23 08:53:06 EDT 2007

> I don't support this policy.

I also don't support it.

> If it's still deemed
> desireable to make the standard assignment for residential
> users smaller than that, I recommend a /60

I disagree. ARIN has already settled on a /56 and the IETF consensus
that all sites should be /48 is a bit more wobbly when it comes to
consumer sites, i.e. homes and apartments. Many of the IETF members who
agree that there is no technical reason to not do /48 everywhere, will
also admit that using /56 for consumer subscribers only, is not going to
create problems.

> because this is
> large enough to accommodate a fairly big home network (I have
> 5 Cisco routers and 2 wifi base stations in my house and
> never used more than 4 subnets) but small enough that people
> won't be tempted to cram a corporate network in it, only to
> grow out of it anyway and needing a rather painful
> renumbering operation (which would be a significant risk with
> assigning /56s).

And there is a prime example of why a /56 for consumers only, will not
create problems. It is exceedingly rare for a private home or apartment
to turn into a business. For the very, very few who do this, there may
be some pain, but that does not warrant a change in the public policy.
Since there is no penalty to ISPs for assigning a /48 to a home user,
anyone who anticipates building a corporate network in their basement or
spare bedroom, should ask their ISP for a /48. Problem solved.

--Michael Dillon