[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Aug 22 21:44:55 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 01:11:03AM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> I don't support this policy.
>
> Please note that at this time, there is rough consensus in the IETF
> that there is no technical reason to limit end-user assignments to
> anything smaller than a /48 block.

Would you support my "Straw Man #2", reproduced here for your
convenience?

]    7. Policy statement:
]
] Delete the text in 6.5.4.2 and Replace the text in section 6.5.4.1
] with the following text:
]
] LIR's may assign up to a /48 to an End Site.  End Sites requiring
] more address space than a /48 may be assigned a larger block provided
] the utilization inside that block meets an HD Ratio of 0.94.
]
]    8. Rationale:
]
] The existing section 6.5.4.1 does not provide clear guidance on how
] large of a prefix to allocate to a site.  This makes it difficult
] for LIR's to know they are in compliance with the rules, and makes
] it harder for ARIN staff to evaluate requests per the communities
] wishes.