[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Aug 20 12:47:12 EDT 2007

Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
>> ] LIR's may assign up to a /48 to an End Site.  End Sites
>> requiring ] more address space than a /48 may be assigned a
>> larger block provided ] the utilization inside that block
>> meets an HD Ratio of 0.94.
>
> I object to this use of the HD Ratio. Unless ARIN policy is
> changed to require all ISPs to regularly report their IPv6 utilization
> and current HD ratio, then I think ARIN should not require ISPs
> to "meet" an HD Ratio. Many ISPs will be getting an IPv6
> allocation with the expectation that they will never come back
> for another allocation, or at least not for many years. In that time,
> the HD Ratio requirement could well be removed or changed. It
> is a burden to require ISPs to track that HD Ratio. If ARIN
> wishes to impose the burden it must be done openly and
> explicitly, not tacked on to another policy change.

That is not what Leo's strawman does; it doesn't require an ISP meet the HD
Ratio for its entire allocation.  What it does do is require that any
end-user assignment larger than /48 be subject to the HD Ratio.  Any
assignment of /48 (or longer) is still assumed to be justified and no HD
Ratio is applied.

The current policy basically says "ask ARIN for permission for shorter than
/48" and ARIN has stated they're granting all requests; I think we need
better guidance in that area.  Whether this is the proper metric is
debatable, as is whether we need one yet, but it's heading in a direction
consistent with other policies.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov