[ppml] too many variables

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Tue Aug 14 10:28:00 EDT 2007

> Plus, your argument doesn't hold for the simple reason that servers
> have the same lifespan as routers in most companies.  HP, Dell,
> IBM, they don't seem to be going under with changes in Intel's line
> of chips.  They don't seem to have support issues.  As the vendors
> move to off the shelf parts the arguments about testing, stocking,
> and so forth start to go out the window.

I don't believe that "most" is accurate here.  I have and know of many
36xx series routers in service as well as quite a few 25xx and 40xx
series, but I know of relatively few servers with a 8+ year life span.
Perhaps in places where they are focused on very large systems that
might be true, but I don't believe that represents "most companies".

> The problem here is that large companies don't like to take risk,
> and any change is perceived as a risk.  Cisco and Juniper will not
> be "creative" in finding a solution, particularly when it may reduce
> cost (and thus, revenue).  Small startups that might take the risk
> can't play in the specialized forwarding side of things.  We can exist
> in this state,  primarily because we're not pushing the cutting edge.

This is at best overly simplistic and at worst untrue.  The fact is that
processors are a relatively small part of the overall cost and using
commodity parts in telco/ISP gear has been done before and is being done
now.  (Crack open a Redback SMS and look at the processors on the FE and
the CE).

Scott Helms