[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Aug 2 13:57:59 EDT 2007

Peter Eisch wrote:
> ...or you'll be black-holed if your Cogent line is down while your other
> ISP's circuit is alive and kicking.

Not if Cogent accepts your /24 from your other ISP.  And if you pay them
to, I'm sure they will.

> Multi-homing in that reality becomes hit and miss.  It's not worth paying
> any fees to the second ISP if anyone who wants to reach you is sitting
> behind a filtering ISP.  The funny part is that they lose you as a customer
> based on policy enacted by a non-related entity.

Yes, I realize that multihoming is "easier" and "better" without
filtering, which is why no one filters any longer.  However, I did
troubleshoot the problems that occurred back when Verio filtered, and
while it's better to no longer have to do so, it wasn't an
insurmountable problem to deal with, either.

Going forward, I don't think tier 1 NSPs are going to choose to filter
each other's routes aggressively, unless the deaggregation gets really
bad.  However, I do think that a large spike in deaggregation due to
IPv4 free pool exhaustion will prompt a new look at route filtering
policies.  I suspect a number of networks will discover they can safely
filter distant deaggregates, and tools like as-pathlimit will be
deployed to assist in this.  We may even see router vendors deploying
BGP stacks that can automatically filter out unnecessary deaggregates
(such as those whose next-hop is identical to a covering BGP route, and
whose local-pref is equal or lower and as-path is equal or longer).  I
wouldn't advocate turning on such features toward your customers, but I
could definitely see people deploying it on routes received from their
transit providers.

Whatever alternate reality we end up with, I think we can trust network
operators to do what's in their best interest, and to find a way to
effectively deal with IPv4 deaggregation, as long as we don't completely
abandon aggregation and hierarchical allocation.

-Scott