[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Aug 2 00:29:47 EDT 2007

Yes, TE deaggregation is worth money, and yes, transit customers will
pay their transit providers to accept such deaggregates, just as
Internap's customers did, and Internap in turn did.  (Remember, Internap
bought transit from most tier 1 providers, and payed money to filterers
like Verio to accept Internap's deaggregates.)  I'm not talking here
about rejecting more-specifics from one's own customers: that is just
dumb.  What I'm talking about, instead, is filtering "distant"
more-specifics: those outside their sphere of usefulness.  (as-pathlimit
would be a quite useful way to do this.)

I agree with you that an "unfiltered" BGP feed will be a competitive
advantage, and will command a price premium.  That price premium will be
required to fund the beefier routers required to continue handling a
full, unfiltered table.  At the same time, however, lower-cost providers
will be free to choose to filter their BGP tables, saving money on
routers, and passing those savings on to their customers.  They can
also, if they wish, buy transit and point default at someone who doesn't
filter, as a catch-all to ensure reachability to more-specific prefixes
not covered by an announced aggregate.

This (filtering the fragmenting IPv4 routing table) won't be about "the
good of the Internet": it'll be about business.  Some ISPs will choose
the high-end market, and buy 2M or 10M route routers to handle the
fragmentation.  Some ISPs will choose to filter some routes, but accept
most and use a default to ensure full reachability.  Others may choose
to filter aggressively and accept some collateral unreachability.

The key here is that we must choose, among our alternate realities, one
that preserves freedom of choice.  If we choose the future of APNIC
prop-050: IPv4 address transfers, we eliminate the choice to filter
deaggregation, and leave ourselves with no choice but to keep up with an
exploding route table or withdraw from the DFZ.

-Scott