[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sun Apr 22 18:01:41 EDT 2007

> "An existing, known ISP is any ARIN Subscriber Organization who has
> received an IPv4 allocation from ARIN or an ARIN predecessor which
> now is an ARIN Subscriber Organization."

Convoluted grammar. There is a reason why laws (an policies) are written
like computer programs. Let's start by getting rid of the awful term
"existing, known ISP".

Somewhere in the policy you have a sentence that says something like:

    ARIN will provide free 7th degree widgets to all organizations
which,

      a) are ARIN subscribers in good standing, and
      b) currently hold an IPv4 direct allocation

This means that they have to be subscribers. It means they have to have
paid their fees up to date or they don't get their widgets. The specific
wording "direct allocation" comes from the whois directory. If you look
at the DoD's 21/8 allocation or the 72.1.0.0/19 to Northern Telephone
and Data, they both show "Direct Allocation" even though the DoD clearly
got theirs from an ARIN predecessor organization. Therefore I consider
that this wording covers predecessors without explicitly mentioning
them.

It is possible that "direct allocation" isn't defined explicitly enough
elsewhere in the policy, and I would suggest that if this is the case,
the policy proposal should include a modification elsewhere in the NPRM
to fix it up.

Anyone think there should be an additional condition c)?

Please don't suggest changes that would introduce the word "or" into
that list. It's best to stick with all "or" or all "and". In this case,
it was relatively straightforward to hide the "or" in a subroutine... I
mean in a term that covers both cases of the "or".

--Michael Dillon