[ppml] 2007-1, was Re: mail auth proposals

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Apr 10 21:13:02 EDT 2007

      On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, william(at)elan.net wrote:
    > I think ARIN should accept maximum 2-step PGP chain...

I think I can guess that the authors would all be fine with that.  I
certainly would be.  I don't think anyone's attached to the number five,
and I think most of us aren't positive we need to specify a number in the
policy.

    > ...but have special system where ARIN will
    > sign key for any contact it previously authenticated...

Well, the idea was that ARIN hostmasters would do key-signings at ARIN
meetings, and participate in key-signings at other meetings, but we felt
that it was too prescriptive to get into that level of detail in the
policy.

We don't feel that ARIN should apply something other than the
normally-accepted PGP authentication process (check government-issued
photo ID in the physical presence of the other person, and hear their key
fingerprint from them directly).  There's a right way to do it, and ARIN
shouldn't break an established practice.

    > Last part is completely unnecessary, staff members should feel free to
    > use PGP no matter if policy states it or not.

That would be nice, but unfortunately we didn't agree that it was
unnecessary to say it.  :-/

                                -Bill