[ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing withIPv4AddressCountdown

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 2 12:30:10 EDT 2007

Thus spake "David Williamson" <dlw+arin at tellme.com>
> Assuming there's a decent 6-to-4 infrastructure in place, ...

That's a big assumption.  The IETF has failed (some might say deliberately)
to provide any mechanism for v6-only hosts to talk to v4-only hosts.
Everything assumes v6-capable hosts stuck on a v4 network, with various bits
of hackery to make dual-stacking work; there's nothing in place to handle
v4-only hosts on a v6-capable network.

Eventually vendors will figure this out and provide a solution, but I don't
have much hope that vendor enlightenment is imminent based on their (lack
of) progress over the last decade.  Until customers start refusing to buy
gear that isn't v6-capable (and that includes not falling for the old "it'll
be in a future software upgrade" line), it's not going to happen.

> The installed base is very large, and it will definitely be a long
> time before even half of the fortune 500 are off of IPv4.

The day they turn off IPv4 isn't as interesting to me as the day they turn
on IPv6.  I'll probably be dead before the former happens, but there's a
fair chance the latter may occur before I retire.

> Sorry, but the crystal ball I have gets *really* fuzzy at 20-30 years
> out, and there's no way to convince me that yours works any better.

Ditto.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov