[ppml] CIDR support for whois.arin.net / merging whois with rr data?

Member Services info at arin.net
Thu Sep 14 20:21:39 EDT 2006

Hello Jeroen-

Thank you for your suggestions.  The ppml is generally used to provide
community input into the ARIN policy process, but your question is
certainly welcome.

(See http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html for further information on
the ARIN policy development process).

You have essentially made a two fold request; modify the ARIN WHOIS so
that it accepts queries by CIDR prefix and integrate the ARIN Routing
Registry into the ARIN Internet number resource registry (WHOIS).

We plan to do an integration of the routing registry and WHOIS in 2007
so that the appropriate number resource registration information is
accurately produced when a query is made to the RR. Thus, queries to the
WHOIS will return the registration information as it currently does, and
queries to the RR will return routing policy information as it currently
does. However, a query to the WHOIS will not return routing policy
information and a query to the RR will not return all of the details of
the number resource registration data.

With regard to changing the WHOIS so that it accepts queries by CIDR
prefix, we will have to look into this and get back to you.

We thank you for your input.

Regards,

Leslie Nobile
Director, Registration Services