[ppml] Multihome Pro Con Document

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sun Oct 15 10:51:51 EDT 2006

I use adverbs carefully.

You're special, and clueful, and can build complex networks.
If we're not allowed to make assumptions, we can't define requirements,
and can't do anything.

> > Enterprise networks need multihoming primarily for reliability,
> > but may also need some level of best-path selection, and may need
> > some degree of load distribution.  In IPv6, they will generally
> > have no more than two prefixes.
>
> wait a sec!  i was told that we would not have the prefix explosion
> in v6 because we could give each site enough space so that it would
> only need to announce one prefix into the global routing state.

Did you get a receipt?

Most enterprise networks should only have one prefix, but some may
need multiple /56 (depending on ISP policy) or even /48.

If we can converge on 1-3 technologies, then they can be applied
where needed.  A residential customer may desire an ISP technology,
but finding a provider who can support it may be tricky.

Lee