[ppml] ARIN member in good standing?

Peter Sherbin pesherb at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 13:31:23 EDT 2006

> I think you suggest having a database server at every hub,
> gathering data for all circuits there, and transmitting
> summaries hourly to a central server, followed by a purge.
> You're still tracking millions of packets per second,
> hopefully without introducing latency, and rack space isn't
> cheap.

By the same logic energy suppliers have counters at each point of consumption. For
the Internet it is reversed with counters at each point of origination.

>  If your proposal requires Internet providers to bill in a certain
> way, we don't have the authority to adopt it.

Providers will follow the model naturally when it is clearly defined.

> > "Proper" means following the basic logic of a process.
>
> I don't think that's what it means.

That's what it means in this context. E.g. on the Internet someone who wants to
distribute their data incurrs costs.

> I have it on good authority that the Internet isn't trucks,
> it's tubes.

Sure, the facility fits the nature of the commodity it carries.

> Another difference: we don't push electrons.  Individual
> electrons don't move very far at all.  Data have no mass.

Yes, data have no mass but the data carrier has it. How do you move the data without
burning some energy?

> The basic issue at hand, though, is why the trucking model
> would be substantially better than the status quo.

The model equips all participants with a guiding principle, e.g. originator of the
data pays for the volume / destination. It assumes that market forces sort out the
details. On the Internet there are at least two clear destinations: within the AS
and outside the AS.

> You say it's straightforward, but what are those criteria?

According to the Telecommunications Act of Canada:

"Canadian carrier'' means a telecommunications common carrier that is subject to the
legislative authority of Parliament;

"telecommunications common carrier'' means a person who owns or operates a
transmission facility used by that person or another person to provide
telecommunications services to the public for compensation;

Apparently all you need is registering your business indicating "telecommunications"
among your activities. Consequently you become regulated by the authorities.

> Does that mean that coffee shops need licenses?
Only if they chose.

> If I set up private interconnects between my enterprise network and four
> of my vendors, do I need a license?
Your choice. As long as all five run data within the private network sharing costs
and not profiting you are not a carrier and not a subject to regulations / fees. At
the same time you may well need a block of PI addresses.

> > suggested fees.
> How strong are the suggestions?
It is up to the license office to decide.  It assumes that the office wants to
support the competitiveness of their economy.

> >For the start we may want to reserve more space and start experimenting with
> >less.
>
> Do you have a proposal?

Enterprise market first. If autoconfiguration is a must then /96. Otherwise /64.
Reservation happens at /16.

> I think your proposal is to have the tax and licensing
> organizations provide ARIN a subscriber count.  ARIN needs
> more information...  Do we ask the organization for
> more information, or train the tax and licensing agenices to
> collect network diagrams and virtual host counts?

>From the office get only a number of licensees with the subscriber count (for fee
calculation). For all the rest use the current ARIN process.

> I still don't quite understand the threshold where a telecom
> license is required.  The only telecom service I want to
> provide is to employees of my company.  Do I need a license
> in your model?  Do I meet the criteria?  If the criteria
> include maintaining a billing database and providing wiretap
> facilities, then I don't.  Would that mean my private WAN is
> illegal?

You are not in violation as long as you are not profiting from telecom services you
provide.

> So we could easily have three non-aggregatable prefixes at
> our house.  Every organization and every individual would
> have a non-aggregatable prefix.  Do you foresee any routing
> scalability problems with that?

Not really assuming that IPv6 prime practical benefit is for private networks to
track devices / automate processes.

> Fees would be variable between countries, and set by the
> government, not by ARIN and its members.

That is probably practical in a world with different economies where governments
pursue local competitiveness. Global market forces would take care of fees as long
as all RIR adopt a common and "fair" PI address allocation policy.

> You propose significant regulation of the Internet and what
> look to me like significant additional costs for Internet
> access providers, both of which may (depending on how well
> I understand your proposal) reduce the number of providers
> and the flexibility of enterprises to bypass them.  Who
> benefits from this?
>
> Or, put another way, I don't understand the problem

The model aims at identifying a fundamental cost driver on the Internet, e.g. a
certain amount of electrons carrying data from the origination point to its
destination. Subsequent arrangements will follow naturally shaped by whichever local
circumstances.