ARIN-PPML Message

[ppml] Comment on "Policy Proposal 2006-1" (Residential Privacy modification)

> > What legitimate research need requires more than this?
> >
> Research which cares whether you are talking about Peoria, AZ or
> Peoria, IL, or
> Peoria, IN for starters.

That is not a definition of LEGITIMATE research.
Consider a terrorist who is doing some research to
identify the locality of a hated person in order to
launch a poison gas attack in that locality.

Yes, that is research but it is not legitimate
research that ARIN and its members would wish
to support.

> > If there is no ARIN document that defines legitimate
> > research uses of ARIN's published whois directory, then
> > the need doesn't exist. Voices in the ether need
> > not apply.
> >
> That is absurd.  I realize you'd like to eliminate whois altogether,
> but,
> I don't think there is consensus for doing so, and whether you like the
> fact or not, others find this research useful and important.

If it is useful and important then it deserves to
be defined in writing in ARIN's policy.

--Michael Dillon