[ppml] Comment on "Policy Proposal 2006-1" (Residential Privacy modification)

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri Oct 6 04:33:36 EDT 2006

> I believe that the research and other value of having the
> non-specific location data are beneficial to the community and
> should be preserved.  As such, while I accept the idea of not
> publishing complete address information, I still think that it is
> a bad idea to stop publishing City and non-specific postal
> code information.

Non-specific location data...

A private residence
Chicago

A business office
Peoria

A factory
Hamilton

A hospital
New York

What legitimate research need requires more than this?

> I remember a number of people coming to the microphone and
> talking about their uses of the data.  I don't remember CAIDA
> being at the meeting, but, I think they use this data on a regular
> basis.  I know Martin Hannigan outlined several legitimate uses
> of the data.

Voices in the ether; here today, gone tomorrow.
If there is no ARIN document that defines legitimate
research uses of ARIN's published whois directory, then
the need doesn't exist. Voices in the ether need
not apply.

--Michael Dillon