[ppml] Staff Comments Regarding Policy Proposal 2006-3

Sandy Murphy sandy at tislabs.com
Thu Oct 5 18:03:24 EDT 2006

>As was discussed at the Montreal meeting, I just don't see the gain to
>adding this to the template.  If a recipient wants to provide this
>information,
>there is a process for providing it in a much more meaningful and useful
>form using RPSL in ARIN's (or any of several other) routing registries.

The suggestion of using the templates to collect the data had two
motivations:
- inherit the operator discipline of completing the templates (population
  of the routing registry is considerably more rare - piggyback on something
  people are familiar with)
- inherit the scrutiny and authentication of the ARIN process of accepting
  templates

If the discipline and scrutiny could be transferred somehow to the
routing registry, that's great.

The original proposal is a "reduce it to a problem that has already
been solved" approach.

Note also: security-wise, this is better than the status quo.  As Geoff
indicated at the mike, security-wise, this is not better than the PKI
resource certificate approach.

--Sandy